Welcome to the Baltimore campus of the University of Maryland, founded in 1807 along a ridge in what was then called Baltimore Town. Today, this 61-acre research and technology complex encompases 62 buildings in West Baltimore near the Inner Harbor.
The University is Maryland's only public academic health, human services, and law center. Seven professional and graduate schools train the majority of the state's physicians, nurses, dentists, lawyers, social workers, and pharmacists.
Under the leadership of University President David J. Ramsay, DM, DPhil, the University is a leading partner in the redevelopment of the west side of Baltimore. The University of Maryland BioPark, which opened in October 2005, promotes collaborative research opportunities and bioscience innovation.
Sponsored research totaled $450 million in Fiscal Year 2008. With 6,100 students and 6,300 faculty members and staff, the University is an economic engine that returns more than $16 in financial activity for every $1 invested in it by the state. The University community gives more than 2 million hours a year in service to the public.