Monsanto Chemical Works of Saint Louis, Missouri, was founded in 1901 by John Queeny and named for his wife, Olga Monsanto. In 1933, the company was renamed, “Monsanto Chemical Company.” By the late 1940s and well into the 1960s Monsanto Chemical Company introduced to industry several highly innovative products. Great strides were made in the areas of oil drilling and refining, plastic, silicon, synthetic rubber, lacquers, resins, adhesives, explosives, fine pharmaceuticals, food preservatives, crop protection, and atomic energy research. A seperate Agricultural Division was created in 1960. To reflect the company’s progression into areas other than chemical production, the company was again renamed, “Monsanto Company” in 1964.
A merger with Pharmacia Corporation in 2000 placed agricultural work into a subsidiary known as Monsanto, which became a separate company in 2002. Pharmaceutical work remained with the Pharmacia Corporation (which became a subsidiary of Pfizer in 2003).more » « less