He prepared at the Lawrenceville School, majored in English and American civilization at Princeton, and received a law degree from the University of Virginia in 1952.
Bill enlisted in the Coast Guard in August 1952, was commissioned an ensign, and served until July 1954. His career was in the cement industry. He started as a sales trainee and rose to president and CEO of Lehigh Portland Cement Co. in Allentown, Pa.
He also served as vice chairman and CEO of the Lehigh operations of Heidelberg Zement of West Germany and president of the Portland Cement Association. Bill was director of five major corporations. He married Patricia W. Campbell in 1978, and she participated actively in the latter days of his business career.
A Princeton trustee from 1971 to 1975. In Lehigh County, he was a community leader.
He is survived by his wife; two sons, Mark and Joseph; a daughter, Mardi; and nine grandchildren.more » « less