Celebrating nearly seven decades of Making Cancer History®, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center is located in central Houston on the sprawling campus of the Texas Medical Center. It is one of the world’s most-respected centers devoted exclusively to cancer patient care, research, education and prevention.
M. D. Anderson Cancer Center was created in 1941 as a component of The University of Texas System. The institution is one of the nation’s original three comprehensive cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Act of 1971 and is one of 40 National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer centers today.
In 2009, U.S. News & World Report’s “America’s Best Hospitals” survey ranked
M. D. Anderson as the top hospital in the nation for cancer care. M. D. Anderson has achieved the top ranking six times in the past eight years and has ranked as one of the top two hospitals for cancer care for 20 years, since the magazine began its annual survey in 1990.