Steppenwolf incorporated as a non-profit in 1975, with an expanded ensemble that included Terry Kinney, Jeff Perry, Gary Sinise, H.E. Baccus, Nancy Evans, Moira Harris, John Malkovich, Laurie Metcalf and Alan Wilder. The company took up residence in the basement of a Catholic school in Highland Park in the summer of 1976 and produced its first season of plays. In 1980 the company moved from Highland Park to the city of Chicago and expanded the ensemble.
Over the course of the 1980s, the company continued to expand, producing plays that went on to receive national and international attention.
In 1991, Steppenwolf built its current theater at 1650 North Halsted Street in Chicago. Steppenwolf has now grown into a company which includes forty-three ensemble members, whose strengths include acting, directing, playwriting, and textual adaptation. Now in its fourth decade as a professional theater company, Steppenwolf has received unprecedented national and international recognition, including a series of Tony Awards, and The National Medal of Arts.