James P. Hoffa grew up on picket lines and in union meetings. He is the only son of James R. Hoffa, former General President of the International...
James P. Hoffa grew up on picket lines and in union meetings. He is the only son of James R. Hoffa, former General President of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters. On his 18th birthday, Hoffa received his own union card and was sworn in by his father. Prior to becoming Administrative Assistant to Michigan Joint Council 43, Hoffa was a labor lawyer in Detroit for 25 years.
* 1960s: Teamster laborer in Detroit and Alaska, loading and unloading freight from ships, driving trucks and buses, and operating heavy equipment.
* 1968-93: Teamster attorney representing members in workers compensation cases, Social Security, and personal legal matters; represented Teamster joint councils and local unions.
* 1993-98: Administrative Assistant to the President of Michigan Joint Council 43.
* 1999-Present: General President, International Brotherhood of Teamsters.
* 2002: President’s Council on the 21st Century Workforce
* 2002: Secretary of Energy's Advisory Board
* 1959: Graduated from Detroit public schools, National Honor Society, All-City and All-State football player.
* 1963: Degree in Economics, Michigan State University, played football under legendary coach Duffy Daugherty.
* 1966: LLB Law Degree, University of Michigan.
* 1967: Awarded Ford Foundation Fellowship to work in Michigan State Senate.