Thomas E. Perez was elected to chair the Democratic National Committee in February 2017.
He previously served in President Obama's administration as Assistant Attorney General for the Civil Rights Division and later as Secretary of Labor.
Mr. Perez has spent his entire career in public service, serving in various capacity as listed below in reverse chronological order.
- Secretary of Maryland's Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation (DLLR).
- Member of the Montgomery County Council (2002 to 2006); first Latino ever elected to the Council, and served as Council President in 2005.
- Career attorney with the Federal DoJ's Civil Rights Division; federal prosecutor then Deputy Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights under Attorney General Janet Reno.
- Special Counsel to the late Senator Edward Kennedy
- Director of the Office for Civil Rights at the United States Department of Health and Human Services.
-Law professor for six years at University of Maryland School of Law and part-time professor at the George Washington School of Public Health.
Bachelor's degree Brown University (1983), Master's of Public Policy John F. Kennedy School of Government (1987), Juris Doctorate Harvard Law School (1987).